Saturday, April 02, 2005

Vere Papa mortuus est



Maybe it’s because he was Polish. Maybe it’s because in his last days he reminded me of my mother –his Slavic face, his Parkinson’s disease. But I think it was because he was a poet.

That’s why I mourn this Pope. I didn’t agree just about anything he professed, but I admired him. I didn’t come to that easily. I finally came to understand the complexity of this man, and to understand his appreciation of nuance, of metaphor and of symbolism. In my heart, I believe he was one of the most spiritual men to hold the office, and he embraced suffering as part of life with Zenlike discipline.

I know there are many who have been deeply hurt by the policies of the Catholic Church, many who have felt marginalized by the faith of their childhoods. I’m one of them. I always felt that if I could just have sat down with the Pope and spoken with him from my heart, I may not have changed anything, but I would have been treated with respect and dignity.

And we probably would have had a couple of good laughs, too.

Wieczne odpoczywanie racz mu dac Panie
a swiatlosc wiekuista niech mu swieci

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to be too flip about it but ...

"The camerlengo's first duty is to perform a medieval ritual. At the deathbed of the pope the camerlengo takes a silver hammer and lightly taps on the pope's forehead three times, calling him by his Christian name. When there is no reply, he announces to those present that the pope is dead."

I wonder if there was ever a Camerlengo named Maxwell Edison.

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See? Even in death he continues to foster Christian-Jewish dialogue! The man apologized for all that anti-Semitism; the least you could do is apologize for killing our Lord and Savior. ;)

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home