Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Neti and Me

So I caught a cold over a month ago, and the residual stuffy nose has been driving me nuts ever since. It seems like forever since I've been able to BREATHE. When I was kvetching about this the other day, a friend said "You need a neti pot."

"A what?"

"A neti pot. You use it to irrigate your sinuses with saline solution. It's like a little pitcher and you stick the spout into one nostril and let the water run through and out the other nostril and it cleans out all the junk that's in there."

Well that sounded like more fun than a body could bear, so I traipsed over to Whole Foods and got one of these:



I also got a jar of the Special Neti Salt (in for a dime, in for a dollar, I say)

I spent yesterday evening looking at this thing and reading and rereading the directions and basically it was just as my friend said -- hang your head over the sink and stick this thing up your nose. Tonight I decided to try it.

Holy Hannah.

I can BREATHE!!!!!

I especially like the fact that it doesn't make me sleepy or hyper or all dried out like all those decongestants do. And since allergy season lasts about 347 days a year down here in NC, this little pot should come in very handy.

I just hope I don't end up with a neti monkey on my back.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't know where my comment went, dee. I wanted to let you know we have Yetis down here in the Green Swamp. They are a barrel of laughs to watch if they don't know you are watching. I had no idea they were pottery craftspeople. Thanks for the heads up about Whole Foods. I knew sniffling worked (it's a home remedy with a long history), but I didn't know there was a vessel or a special salt.

Anonymous David

9:14 PM  
Blogger hedera said...

Allergy people and singers all know about those; I've been using one for years. "Neti" is new - the allergy clinic where I bought mine called it a nasal irrigation cup. I also read an interview with an opera singer who called it "nasal douche", now there's a concept.

The Special Neti Salt, by the way, is a complete rip-off. The stuff you buy in the round paper boxes works just fine.

My one warning: DO NOT lose track of what you are doing and run unsalted water through your nose. I did it just once. You realize instantly that something is wrong, but it continues to feel like that until you get the salt water in there.

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home