Friday, April 13, 2007

42

Sixty years ago this Sunday, Jackie Robinson stepped onto Ebbets Field as a Brooklyn Dodger. He was a man of extraordinary talent and extraordinary courage. In a week when we've been exposed to a glaring example of a man with neither, this Sunday's commemoration will be especially meaningful.

Last Christmas I gave my great-nephew a copy of this book:



If you want to teach your children about standing up for what is right and how a simple gesture can still have meaning sixty years later, I recommend it.

1 Comments:

Blogger D.B. Echo said...

I thought you were referring to...never mind.

The 42 Code is alive and well. In a commercial for...something (it's a very clever commercial, so naturally I can't remember the product)...in which a number of small business owners say "I need...", "I need..." in voiceover, one of the voices says "I need to ship 42 glass bowls." I'd like to think this is a reference to the fishbowls in So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home