Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy New Year

Up here in Michigan, where I'm spending the holidays, the skies are gray. The skies tend to be gray in Michigan in the winter, which is why I moved to North Carolina. In 1980, which was the last winter I lived here, the temperature never got above 17 for the entire month of January, and from Christmas to Valentines Day the sun never shone.

But there can be beauty in the gray of winter, especially on the river. I found the shores at Lake Erie Metropark to be especially lovely. I give you this picture, and my favorite William Stafford poem, as a gift for the new year.



Ask Me

Some time when the river is ice ask me
mistakes I have made. Ask me whether
what I have done is my life. Others
have come in their slow way into
my thought, and some have tried to help
or to hurt: ask me what difference
their strongest love or hate has made.

I will listen to what you say.
You and I can turn and look
at the silent river and wait. We know
the current is there, hidden; and there
are comings and goings from miles away
that hold the stillness exactly before us.
What the river says, that is what I say.

3 Comments:

Blogger D.B. Echo said...

Happy New Year!

Word verification word: czfdgu. I think the Old Gods are Awakening...

2:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice gift, dee. Happy New Year yourself. It's turned bitterly cold (for NC). Are you bringing it back with you?

Hi, Harold. My word verification is "zmutry". How does that fit into the scheme of things?

It looks like Fanatical Apathy is off the air again. Nothing worst than dead air.

10:02 PM  
Blogger dee said...

Ah, but the temperatures will rise back into the forties this weekend in NC. Not so in Michigan, where it gets down to 8 tonight and will stay frigid for a while yet.

And I see that Adam's site is fractured again. I guess I should be grateful for so little traffic that I fly under the radar of mass spammers.

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home