Sunday, October 01, 2006

Bittersweet

Way back in April, nobody NOBODY expected the Tigers to finish any higher than 4th in the division. So I'm ashamed of myself for being disappointed in the wild card spot. But jeebus --losing three to Kansas City? This does not bode well for the playoffs.

Be that as it may, it's been a remarkable summer for the folks around Detroit. Generations of children in southeast Michigan had never experienced a pennant race. And damn, this was fun.

Yeah, they sucked since the middle of August. But hopeless romantic that I am, I'm hoping for a Detroit - St. Louis series, not only to stick it to Fox Sports, but more importantly to resurrect this little ditty from 1968. Everybody sing!

Tigers, Tigers, rah, rah, rah.
Cardinals, Cardinals, boo, boo, boo
Tigers, Tigers, rah, rah, rah
Cardinals, Cardinals, boo
Tigers, Tigers, rah, rah, rah,
Cardinals, Cardinals, boo
Tigers, Tigers, rah, rah, rah
Cardinals, Cardinals, boo.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dee, I guess you had to be there, huh?

In '68 I graduated High School, moved to Florida, and fretted over my chances of going to Vietnam. That, thankfully, did not happen.

So good to see that you're writing again. I missed your snappy repartee. I ain't got no dog in the playoff fight, so I'll keep a good thought for the Tigers.

10:54 PM  
Blogger D.B. Echo said...

Back in '68, I was...born.

Word verification word: rebbocp. That was a funny movie.

8:47 PM  
Blogger dee said...

Back in '68, I was...born

Well aren't we the snarky young thing? You're just lucky you're going to be my source for all my paczki needs, or you'd be dead to me now!

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you got your wish. May all your wishes come true as easily.

Cheers,

Roy

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's exactly why wanted this series. You are the only Google hit for "Cardinals Cardinals boo." Do you know anyone who has that record?

2:07 PM  
Blogger dee said...

My God, haydn, you're right! I don't know anyone with the record, but I can't believe no Detroit radio station hasn't looked through the archives and dug it up for this series.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home