Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Junque

The Cecilia concerts are complete and they all went well, especially the Sunday morning one at the UU Fellowship. It was as close to a perfect performance as I have ever experienced. The brass was flawless, the singers were all in tune, hitting the cutoffs and honoring the dynamics. And the conducting was superb. It was one of those times when you know you're in the middle of a once in a lifetime experience. Just transcendant, it was.

If only there were rest for the weary. But I have one more chore to get through before I can relax. The semi-annual Fellowship Yard Sale is this Saturday, and, as has been my wont for the last eight years or so, I'm in charge. I enjoy doing it (though I'd enjoy it more with a few more volunteers to help) because it's always fun to see what people donate. Every sale there are always a half dozen items that we play "Guess what this is" with. This year, I found a set of three badly tarnished silver pieces that defied identification. So I took them home and polished them up and looked for marks. They are Sheffield, silver plated, made in Italy and they look like this:



I was clueless. I even took them into work and asked around. Finally, after much research on the internets, I was able to ascertain that they are flatware caddies for your formal buffet. Which shows you how often I entertain formally. You put your forks in the two skinny ones and your knives rest in the larger one. They're pretty damned heavy and even though they are just silverplated, I think $30 for the set is fair. I've seen another set similar to them advertised for $35 on an antiques site.

So if you're looking for a silverplated flatware buffet caddy set at a good price, the doors open at 8 AM. Cash only, no early sales.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home