Thursday, January 17, 2008

Good for the lilacs

Over the years I've developed the hypothesis that in order to guarantee profuse blooms in April the lilac bush requires one good covering of snow/ice in winter. Last winter was very mild with no "winter events" and there was a dearth of lilacs. So I am very happy to report this:



About an inch of snow/sleet/freezing rain overnight which turned to just plain ol' cold rain during the day. I had already planned on taking the day off (which was a good thing since repairing the water pump on the Prius took a while) so I slept in this morning and blissfully avoided Full Winter Storm Mode on local television, which goes something like this:

" This is Jim in Winston-Salem, and it's cold and slushy here. Now to Becky in Greensboro".
"This is Becky in Greensboro. It's cold and slushy here, too. Now to Frank in Burlington"
Ad nauseum


And of course the anticipation of the Big Winter Event went on and on yesterday, so all the grocery stores were quickly emptied of milk and bread, which only shows what lousy storm day planners everyone is down here. I prefer to stock up on more useful items like beer and Fiddle Faddle.

But at least I got a chance to consider the lilacs today, and to remind myself that in a short three months this:



will become this:

2 Comments:

Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

Oh I am so jealous! Lilacs are my favorite flower.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Leisha Camden said...

Oh, lilacs, they are soo beautiful. And the scent ... ! One of the most glorious things in nature. :-)

4:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home