Monday, October 27, 2008

$#$*@&!!!!!!

I had my first accident in 25 years today.

I was in the middle lane of a three lane street and the light had just turned green. As I pulled out, the car on my right suddenly turned to the left in front of me, apparently trying to make a left turn from the far right lane. C-R-U-N-C-H right across my right front bumper.

We pulled over and as I was dialing 911, the other driver came out of the car all crying and apologetic, telling me that her father had just had open-heart surgery and her husband had just filed for divorce and she was lost downtown and she was so, so sorry. I was just numb, especially after I saw what the right front of my car looked like:



I'm just surprised I didn't collapse into a weeping puddle right there on the street.

So the claim has been filed with my friendly State Farm agent (and we'll see how friendly he continues to be after my first claim with him EVAH!) Fortunately, the other driver also is a State Farm client, so the process should be seamless. My agent agrees that the place to go for the repairs is the local Toyota dealer, since it's a Prius and I don't trust anyone else to know what to do with it. He also assures me that they do good work.

You know what gets me in all of this? I left work early to get to a friend's house so our little group of singers could do a quick rehearsal for our performance at a Vigil for Healing which was held this evening.

No good deed goes unpunished.

3 Comments:

Blogger D.B. Echo said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH! THE PRIUS!!!!!!!!!

Sweet, fast, spacious hybrid! Bear your wound with pride.

I almost had a the same situation one, in a mirror-image way:

Another Monkey: Everybody knows that the world is full of stupid people

But of course you know about that...you posted a comment there!

8:09 PM  
Blogger piglet said...

I feel your pain. Our Prius (which my son insists on calling a Pious) was rear-ended within a month of bringing it home. Oh, the gnashing of teeth.

Good news was the dealer did a great job of patching it up. Now you can't tell it was ever hit.

9:01 PM  
Blogger hedera said...

Within about 6 weeks of getting my new Passat, back in 2002, I backed into somebody's porch rail and put a dent in the trunk cover, right next to the "V6". Nobody to blame but me. It's still there - I left it there to remind me about the stupid driver. (It also helps identify the car...)

Good luck with State Farm, and don't file any more claims. Thirty years ago, I had 3 fenderbenders in a relatively short period, and the barstewards dropped me - after my family had insured with them for 30 years. I've never forgiven them for putting me on "assigned risk."

So don't push your luck. I'm glad you're OK - as you know from my site, it was a bad weekend.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home