Monday, May 21, 2007

Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circum spice

I went up to Michigan last weekend for a cousin's wedding. What a great time with all the aunts and uncles and cousins. None of us has changed a bit, of course.

And while the wedding was the main reason I went up there, while I was there I was able to take some time for some other pretty special events, like my first visit here:



And a fine and glorious park it is, too. Especially when there are 40,815 of us there to witness the beloved Tigers demolishing the so-called "World Champion" St. Louis Cardinals 14-4. Even more exciting was watching 21 year old Andrew Miller make his first major league start:



He pitched six scoreless innings before Leyland sat him down. Good speed, adequate control. Remember his name.

One thing I had forgotten about the third weekend in May in Michigan -- the lilacs are in bloom. You don't see too many lilac bushes in North Carolina, though I have one in my yard that bloomed in April, as it does every year. But they are EVERYWHERE in Michigan. I would get so excited driving down the road and seeing these huge bushes that were probably 30 years old, just covered with purple blooms. Just about everyone has one in the yard, including my niece. So just enjoy and imagine that breathtaking scent

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most excellent photographs, dee.
Glad I decided to drop by your website.

Anonymous David

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Tigers just beat my Mets in what I hope was a warmup for the World Series (with my Mets winning the big one, of course).

Anonymous David/Angry David/Green Swamp David

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home