Friday, March 21, 2008

I guess it wasn't just a phase

So much cat drama!

I had to go out of town last Saturday night, and when I came back I noticed that the right side of the accordion panel next to my room air conditioner in the bedroom had been pulled back. And Ivy was nowhere to be found.

I checked all the usual hiding places, but she wasn't there. I checked around the house and yard, but she wasn't there. I thought maybe...maybe she had found another indoor hiding place, but when I got up the next morning and the food had not disappeared as it should in a two cat household and the litter box had not been utilized as it should in a two cat household, I knew she was gone.

I let Marilyn know that Ivy had taken off and she went into Full Missing Cat Mode, listing her with a couple websites and making me a flyer and calling me back at work a half dozen times to suggest places to look and things to do. One of the things she suggested was putting tuna out on both porches. I did that. The next morning both tuna dishes were turned over. I figured I was feeding every possum and raccoon in the neighborhood.

I've walked through the neighborhood and looked under my neighbor's porches. I've pretty much made up my mind that this cat is not coming back. Maybe she got spooked during the thunderstorm on Saturday and just took off in a frenzy.

But this leaves me with a dilemma. I wanted two cats so they could keep each other company while I was at work. I particularly wanted litter mates since they would get along. There are two other cats available from the litter that Fern and Ivy came from, but that would mean dealing with Marilyn and I get the feeling she is a)a little obsessive when it comes to these cats and b)a little distrustful of my ability to care for another cat.

I don't know what to do. Fern needs a cat. She is the sweetest, most affectionate, loving cat and I know she needs a companion when I'm not here. I've already told Marilyn I would like another cat from that litter, but after the last few days of her phone calls I'd just as soon let this relationship wither.

In the mean time, here's Fern. I know her eyes are closed in this picture, but her eyes are closed a lot. Add a deep, contented, purr and you'd have the essence of Fern.

1 Comments:

Blogger D.B. Echo said...

Darn. I hope Ivy comes back on her own.

Have you set out a Hav-a-Hart trap? I seem to recall that that's pretty high on the list of things a lost pet locator said to do when I heard her on Fresh Air a few years ago - the runaway will often stay in the neighborhood, but will quickly join the local feral population - or not. They're also useful for catching groundhogs, though you will get the occasional skunk or oppossum. We caught several of the neighborhood feral cats during my groundhog hunt last year.

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home